Sunday, November 1, 2009

Flowin' on the Currents

Current projects:

1. Editing my second book. I'd said that the love story that I've been working on, Banana Moon, would be my second published work. But I changed my mind (I never can seem to make up my mind in the first place), and decided to go on and finally publish Children of a Lesser Light--a book that I've been working on for about ten years now. Seriously, it's taken that long to first of all, get over my fear of putting the work out there and second of all, to get the storyline laid out the way I wanted it. The characters were easy enough to develop, and other concepts flowed freely. The final hurdle will be releasing it to a publisher to get accepted or rejected. I think part of the fear that I have of doing that is a basic aversion to criticism that I will eventually have to get over.

2. Building a website. I've been working on building a website for my writer's group/social network The Full Has Nevah Been Told, but the truth is, I just don't have the patience to figure out how to use the software! It's a shame, I tried for a good couple of weeks, before I just gave up on the idea. Didn't really give up altogether, just put it aside I guess. Honestly, I need help. Any volunteers?

3. Writing some poetry to record. I've been wanting to get back in the studio for a while now. It's funny, I spent about 3 years of my life in Atlanta doing background vocals or lead for a couple different groups, and have NO RECORDINGS to pass around. To be sure, I did have a couple of demos that I misplaced in the process of moving. And other people actually have videos of a few of my performances. I just don't have any. So, at some point between now and January, I plan to get into somebody's studio and record a few pieces.

Current Playlist:

1. New Amerykah (Erykah Badu)
2. The Colored Section (Donnie)
3. Journey Through The Secret Life of Plants (Stevie Wonder)
4. Testimony 2: Love and Politics (India.Arie)
5. I Look To You (Whitney Houston)
6. Blacksummer's Night (Maxwell)


Current Reading List:

1. Crucify Him: A lawyer looks at the trial of Jesus by Dale Foreman
2. Countering the Conspiracy to Destroy Black Boys by Jawanza Kunjufu
3. Soul On Ice by Eldridge Cleaver
4. The Leroi Jones/Amiri Baraka Reader
5. Revolutionary Suicide by Huey P. Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment